Do you want to start a blog? First, you need to have the best blog hosting sites service.
The hosting service is not free. You have to buy a web server space for your website online. The service stores your website code, data, and files for your blog on a server. So your site will be accessed by anyone and at any corner of the world. Without having a website host, your website will not be available online for access.
Keep in mind, there is countless blog hosting sites. But not all are made equal. Some are better than others. So, while you check for a blog hosting site, you need one offering fast loading times to help deliver your content fast to readers or visitors of your website. Another great thing worth having is regular site backups, reliable security measures, simple data restoration, customization options, and about 99% uptime.
I have created this post to help you choose a reliable blog hosting service provider. The information provided is my honest opinion to help you choose a hosting service provider.
Before diving into choosing the best blog hosting sites, let us look at the vital features of a hosting site.
There are a countless blog hosting sites, which makes it a hassle for you to pick the best one. Thankfully, you can check on these key features to help pick the right hosting company from the rest.
A good blog host company should offer you the following:
i) Customization Options
The hosting provider should allow you to customize the feel and look of your blog. It should have templates that will take care of the formatting.
When you choose a poor hosting site, it only provides a few premade templates without further customization.
ii) Easy Learning Curve
A blog hosting site must be intuitive without requiring a developer or expert. That is because, you want to start a blog, which is not similar to a business website. So, the hosting site should allow you to easily set up, design, and even publish your posts.
iii) Monetization Opportunities
Having great content in your block will be a backbone of a successful website. The more eyes you will have on the contents, the higher chance of making revenue income.
Your blog hosting site should allow you to monetize your blog. That is possible through affiliate marketing, selling merchandise, displaying ads, and more. Pick a hosting site allowing these monetization options.
iv) Installing Tracking Scripts
You have to track your blog website’s search engine performance. The information will show you how your content is performing over time.
Perhaps you can not install scripts or you don’t want to add them, your hosting sites must provide KPIs and metrics on how your blog performs.
v) Room for Growth
When you start a blog, it will be a hassle to envision where it will be after a few years. As you continue to add more posts, you will need capabilities that will not restrict your website.
You may start with a free version, ensure the blog hosting site offers upgrades or their site architecture can support an established blog.
Check for adequate storage space, number of monthly visits allowed, and no limitations of metered traffic.
vi) SSL Certificates, Free Email & More
Don’t pick a blog hosting plan offering the bare minimum. You have to look for plans offering sign-up incentives like a free SSL certificate, domain name, and email.
When a blog hosting site does not offer such incentives in their basic plans, they should be in premium plans. The freebies will help you to start a blog without having to purchase vital add-ons from other providers.
Popular Blog Hosting Sites
Now you have known the vital features to check before you choose a hosting site. Let’s look at some of the best hosting options in the market. And before we dive in, it is worth noting all of them allow WordPress installation.
This is a trusted hosting site used for small and medium blogs. It is recommended for blogs with up to 100,000 monthly visitors. The hosting site backups your website daily and you should never worry about losing content.
Siteground also offers managed WordPress hosting. So the provider can offer you automatic WordPress and plugin caching, security measures, and updates. That allows your blog to run smoothly.
- Three plans with additional features as your grow your blog.
- Free SSL on each plan to help with blog’s SEO
- Unmetered blog’s traffic in three plans. There is no reduction in performance as your blog grows.
- Free email box in all the plans. These emails will make your blog look professional.
- Free WordPress.org integration and easy for all plans.
- High starting price for beginners than other hosts such as Bluehost
- StartUp plan will not include staging site option. So you will not interact with the blog in staged environment prior publishing posts.
- You cannot add colloborators with the StartUp plan. Perhaps you want to launch with other writers, you have to upgrade to an expensive plan.
This company offers you a free domain for a year and affordable hosting plans.
It offers managed hosting, SEO tools, social media, and marketing for your blog.
The hosting site has three hosting options to choose from: Shared, Dedicated, or Virtual Private Server.
Shared hosting is where your blog shares space with other websites and blogs. If you go for the dedicated hosting plan, it allows your blog to have a dedicated private server resulting in utmost stability and impeccable uptime. Lastly, there is a virtual private server. This is a compromise between dedicated hosting and shared hosting. You will be on a shared server, yet your software has been installed on a physical server allowing your private server to have space.
- Low starting price for the basic plan unlike other services. It is a great option for starting a blog.
- The basic plan has more storage (50 GB) allowing you to store PDFs, GIFs or other files without worrying about storage.
- All plans have $100 Google Ads credit, thus, you can advertise your blog on Google’s sponsored ads.
- Free SSL certificate to secure visitors connections and make the blog trustworthy.
- Free WordPress.org integrations available for all plans.
- Tricky pricing structure. You have to pay all amount upfront which discourages startup blogs.
- No free email. You will have to go through Office 365 or Google Workspace.
HostGator is a reliable hosting site for a blog intended to receive a small or large audience. Some of the services provided by this hosting include free SEO tools that help posts to rank higher on SERPs ( search engine results pages).
Moreover, the hosting site offers a drag-and-drop builder which makes formatting simpler. The administration panel has website statistics to evaluate the performance of your content.
- Basic plan/hatchling has low starting price to help start a blog cheap.
- All plans provide free email to make blog look professional.
- A $150 Google Ads credit after you spend $150 on Google Ad campaign.
- Unlimited disk space and bandwidth to provide your blog with infinite room to grow without upgrade.
- All plans have free SSL certificate to make the blog more secure.
- A multi-year commitment require upfront payment which is expensive for some starters.
- Too many hosting choices makes difficult to choose. It has shared hosting, WordPress hosting, website builder, dedicated hosting, and VPS hosting plan.
GoDaddy hosting allows you to design an attractive blog, manage social accounts, and share content easily. The service offers security monitoring, one-click data restore, and site backup. So you are not likely to lose your blog content.
The service provider has a number of plans to fit in different budgets. Each of them offers free Office 365 email and a domain name.
- Free domain in all plans to create a professional looking blog website.
- Free Office 365 mailbox allowing you to get a branded inbox for a blog.
- Umetetered bandwidth having all plans allowing your blog to grow without upgrading to an expensive plan.
- Add up to 25 subdomains within the Economy plan. So you can create unique divisions when you want to tackle diverse range of topics.
- Multi-year commitments are paid up-front.
- No Google Ads credit to allow you launch a campaign.
- No SSL certificate unless you upgrade to Ultimate or Maximum plans.
- Only 100GB of storage in the Economy plan.
DreamHost is a site builder allowing you to design a WordPress blog website without coding. It becomes a greater option for users at all levels.
The service provider is dedicated to security – it has anti-spam policies, free WHOIS privacy, and multi-factor authentication.
- All plans have unlimited traffic, storagez and bandwidth allowing your blog to have an infinite room to grow.
- All plans comes with an SSL certificate to allow your blog look professionals.
- You can pay monthly price up-front to see how much you need to set up a blog with monthly payments.
- A longer money back guarantee before you decide whether it is right for use.
- Packages and pricing are overwhelming to a new blogger. It has shared website hosting, VPS hosting, managed WordPress hosting, dedicated server hosting, WordPress starter hosting, and more.
- No free domain in shared website hosting plan.
- No free email in the basic plans.
This is popular with email marketing tools. However, it offers a convenient website builder to allow you to launch a blog. It is not a hosting service, but you use it for free hosting or a paid plan.
Constant Contact Website Builder has an AI-powered website builder, a free image library, and a logo maker.
- Free to design and set up a blog without paying. Pay only when you want to go live.
- Free hosting in every subscription – easy to publish and maintain a blog.
- Unlimited storage to offer you a room to grow without worrying.
- Free SSL certificate in single plan to make the blog look professional.
- Integration with Constant Contact platform allows you to create a subscriber list without relying on the provider.
- Simple pricing which becomes an excellent choice for a beginner.
- No commitment and you can cancel after a month when not satisfied.
- Not feature-rich like other hosting sites. It has no information on disc space, databases or bandwidth for you.
- No option for WordPress. So you stick to its website builder platform.
- No free domain included in subscription.
SquareSpace is similar to Constant Contact Website Builder. It is not an exclusive hosting site. However, it has hosting services for blogs after you sign up for their service.
The service provider is designed to allow your blog website up and run quickly. It is famous for drag-and-drop builder, all-around professional feel, ready-to-use templates, and ease-of-use.
- Easy and intuitive to get your blog starter. Simply to pick a template, edit and upgrade to a premium version when ready to go online.
- Free custom domain in all plans after you commit to a yearly plan.
- Free SSL certificate for all plans.
- All plans allow at least two more contributors, to allow you create a multi-author blog.
- Unlimited storage and bandwidth for all plans
- Easy and accessible pricing for monthly or yearly subscriptions.
- No free email included unless you subscribe to an expensive plan
- No free domain without commiting to an yearly plan.
- No integration with WordPress.
Free Blog Hosting Sites
If you are on a budget and have a passion to start a blog, these hosting sites will take your blog online. The problem with using a free blog hosting sites is that they have restrictions.
Let us explore them here:
This hosting site provides a variety of paid plans and limited free plans. When you have a free hosting plan, the hosting providers offer you 3GB of storage, site backups, and automatic updates. It has a jetpack and no other plugins.
The downside of using WordPress is that there will be ads and your domain must include “WordPress.” So, your website will have such an URL: yoursite.wordpress.com, where the free service is ideal for personal and small-scale blogs.
- Easy to sign up and start blogging. Create an account, pick WordPress subdomain and go to dashboard.
- It has a dashboard designed for bloggers where they can start to post immediately.
- Setup done in a few minutes and you start to publish blog posts after sign up. Unlike other hosting sites, this does not require a lengthy setup.
- Affordable paid plans.
- Sign up process will trick you to pay for a plan as it hides a start for free prompt.
- Only a paid plan comes with a free domain.
- WordPress.com’s ads and branding are on your blog until you upgrade the plan.
- It has limited functionality with a free plan. You can not access the expansive library of plugins until you choose a Premium or Business plan.
Wix is a greater hosting site for a beginner blogger. It has 500MB of bandwidth, 500MB of cloud storage, and security monitoring.
The service allows you to design your blog website easily with a drag-and-drop page builder and templates. Unfortunately, it will include branded domains such as your domain.wix.com.
- Easy to use. Simply sign up, fill the questions related to your project, pick some features and Wix AI will build a blog website for you.
- Easy to import data from existing blog.
- A live chat widget included in the free plan to connect with potential subscribers.
- Does not include a custom domain unless you upgrade.
- No free email even in paid plans.
- Blog has Wix’s branding and ads until you upgrade.
- Adding a blog post requires a process.
This kind of hosting plan is robust. It has unlimited bandwidth, website templates, no ads, 500MB of storage, and a drag-and-drop builder.
With a free plan, you will not get a free email address to link to the domain. You will get a Weebly-branded domain name.
- Free SSL certificate for all plans, including the free plan.
- Sign up process is simple for all users. You will not have push toward buying a premium plan. So you can start a blog without fuss.
- No email or custom domain included in all plans.
- Your website is branded with Weebl’s logo. Upgrade to a premium plan to remove branding.
- After signup, choose whether a business website or Personal website. Also consider whether to monetize the blog then instead of monetizing after the blog grows.
This web hosting has no ads, 10GB of bandwidth, and quick loading times in the free hosting plan.
With this service, you will not get live support. In each month, you will have a two-hour offline period and therefore, the audience will not access your blog in two hours.
- The free plans allows 3,000 monthly visits and 300MB of storage.
- Upgrading the services are cheap but requires a 4-year commitment.
- No email account or free domain included in the free plan.
- Offline mode for two hours every month.
The other free hosting option worth checking is Blogger. It is an ideal option for small-scale blogs. With this hosting, you will host unlimited domains and easily integrate the blog with other Google accounts and services. These may include maps, drive, calendar, and more.
The hosting site has a responsive template that allows you to design mobile-friendly sites. With a free plan, you will have no ads but limited SEO and support assistance.
- Easy to set a blog in a few minutes. Sign up, pick a name, choose a template and post.
- Easy to add Google Analytics ID since it is owned by Google. And you can easily track your website performance.
- Allows you to connect a custom domain.
- Allows you to invite co-founders to be administrators without sharing a login or paying for additional subscription.
- Easy to monetize and you can access in the dashboard.
- No free email account or domain included.
- Offers limited customization options.
- Extremely limited customization options. It has a long list of themes where you can choose. But you will not edit the CSS or give your blog website the desired unique look.
- Has three types of editors: a layout editor, a theme editor, and a text editor. Since these editors are separate, it becomes unintuitive to change how your blog looks and add text. Unlike others like Wix with drag-and-drop editors, you can not edit all three simulataneously.
If you want to start a blog today, there are a variety of hosting service providers you can choose from. All have specific features that are ideal for different blogs. Review the options I have covered in this guide and dive into their pricing and feature to choose the best blog hosting site.
The Final Verdict
Creating and launching a blog website is no small feat. With a blog, you can use it to develop a personal brand, make insights of your availability to the public and generate revenue.
Choosing the best blog hosting sites will help you launch your blog without fuss or coding skills. The options above in this guide can help you to create a great audience base.
Not sure of the hosting plan to choose from? Get in touch today for assistance.